Christmas is officially coming! I love Christmas!
But I hate hate HATE Christmas shopping.
Is it just me, or is it kind of a lot of pressure to get somebody something thoughtful that they will actually LIKE? I’m always so worried that I’ll pick something that they’re indifferent to, or that I’m not spending the right amount (especially that I might be being cheap…), or that it’s not PERFECT. Some of my family members are really hard to shop for, too.
Fortunately, my dad is pretty easy. He loves to read, especially science fiction books. God bless John Scalzi for writing something new my dad will like every single year. The only risk is that my dad’ll buy it for himself before I can give it to him for Christmas!
But this year I wanted to do something different. I’ll still buy my dad the latest Scalzi book, Collapsing Empire, but I want to get him something else too. He recently mentioned that he wants to broaden his horizons, and read more than JUST Sci-Fi exclusively. Yay!
The problem is that I’m 100% sure he won’t like the books I’ve loved this year. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is REALLY not his thing, lol. He likes books that are fast-paced and fun, but not just fluff. I don’t read a lot of things like that.
So can you help me???
Books my dad has read and liked:
- The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist
- The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
- Tom Clancy books such as Clear and Present Danger
- other things, probably. *shrugs*
- He doesn’t like books that are too long, usually. LOTR seems to have been an exception.
- Please no graphic sexuality. It’s my DAD, y’all.
- He doesn’t seem to enjoy anything too serious. But he doesn’t like fluff either.
- He seems to have zero interest in monsters, zombies, vampires, or anything like that.
Other than that, please send any and all recommendations my way! New or old! Appreciate your help. Happy Holidays!