So it has come to my attention over the course of the past year that there are people who actively avoid reading unfinished series.
This is something that would never have even occurred to me. Possibly in part because I got hooked on the Animorphs series in the 4th grade, and the author didn’t finish it until I was in sixth, so I guess I’m just used to waiting. I also grew up waiting on Harry Potter, so there’s that too.
But mostly I don’t even bother to find out if a book is even a part of a series before I start reading. I pretty much assume anything is either a stand-alone or a part of a never-ending-mega-series-that-I-will-never-finish until told otherwise. Finding out how many books are in a series is so far removed from how I pick books that I would never have even considered that.
So I was a little shocked the first time I heard this. Not because I was appalled or anything, just because I’d never thought of it and it’s kind of weird to me. But over the last year I’ve just come to accept that there are people out there who won’t read a book unless they know the whole series is available to them.
And as I sit here, twiddling my thumbs and waiting for the conclusion of The Kingkiller Chronicles which may never come, I have to say, It kind of makes sense. But, at the same time, it kind of makes me feel icky all over. So, like I do, I thought I’d make a pros and cons list.
On Waiting to Read a Series Until Every Book in the Series Has Been Released
(whew, what an absurdly long title)
- If you love the series you can binge the whole thing!
- No waiting countless years for Patrick Rothfuss or George R.R. Martin to finally put you out of your misery.
- Avoid the hype-read and see if the series is going to hold up.
- Probably by then there’s going to be a movie to watch to compliment.
- Most likely all the cover-style-changes will have happened and you can get yourself a matching set.
- You could be waiting for the rest of the series to come out for many years.
- And I don’t know about you, but I would probably lose interest and/or forget in that time.
- You miss the opportunity to speculate with friends about what might happen next!
- There will probably be spoilers.
- If everyone else reads it you won’t have anything to talk to them about.
- No opportunity to hype it yourself.
In the end, you do you. No judgement here. This is not something I ever see myself doing, especially since I can’t often be bothered to even read a whole series. What can I say? I like standalones the best.
Do you like waiting for a series, or reading ASAP? Let me know in the comments!