I like this tag because it’s a little different, asking questions about my bookish preferences rather than giving me prompts in which I will, let’s be honest, probably choose the same books I always pick. This gives me a chance to tell you all a little about me, perfect since I don’t think I’ve done anything like this in a while.
Thanks to Em at Ember Revision for tagging me. She’s relatively new around here, so take a minute to check out her blog. 🙂
1. Do you have a favorite bookshop?
No, not really. There aren’t a lot of indies around here (two, to be exact) and they aren’t anywhere near me. If I go to the book store it’s usually Barnes & Noble, mostly because my mom is always sending gift cards. I have been buying from The Dock Bookshop in Fort Worth as much as possible, but they have a very small stock that doesn’t align much with what I read (mostly YA and SF/F), so everything I get from there has to be ordered.
2. Do you pre-order books?
In the past this was something I only did once in a blue moon, as in if Naomi Novik had something coming out and that was about it. But this year I’m trying to make an effort to support authors whose work I enjoy by pre-ordering, so I had about ten pre-orders in 2020.
3. Do you have a monthly buying limit?
Sort of, but not really. I have a separate bank account with my “spending money” in it, and I put in $50 every month. But I don’t buy books every month and I am often given gift cards, so it tends to build up for a few months, and then I’ll buy a whole bunch of books and tea all at once. In July, for example, I pre-ordered seven books in one go, as well as buying a few other titles, but then in August and September I didn’t make a single purchase.
4. How big is your wishlist?
I don’t have a wishlist, which is probably why I don’t have to set myself a buying limit. Most of the time I read the books from the library first, and then buy them if I love them. That way my shelves are filled with books I really love and want to read again, instead of random books I don’t really remember or care for.
5. What three books from your wishlist do you wish to own right now?
My birthday was last month, so I’m probably going to go ahead a buy some books pretty soon.
- You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson. This was one of my 5-star books this year, so it’s one I’d really like to have on my shelf.
- The Obelisk Gate and The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin. I read The Fifth Season back in July and it was SO GOOD and I definitely want to read the rest of the series.
- The Lady Trent Memoirs by Marie Brennan. I have the first book, A Natural History of Dragons, and I think I’ll treat myself to the complete set (having FINALLY finished the series) mostly for the cover love, but also because I’d like to read them again someday. 🙂
I’m tagging bloggers I’ve started following recently and want to get to know better.