HOLY SMOKES! What a great year for books I’ve had! This is, hands’ down, the best reading year I have ever had. Ever. I know I say that every year, but there are eight, count ’em, EIGHT five-star books on this list. YOWZAH!
In all seriousness, I’m so excited to share this list with you all.
1. The Mirror & the Light
Utterly brilliant historical fiction. Captivating and compelling.
2. The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
Wow. I just, don’t even have words. Wow.
3. A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi
Beautiful, heartbreaking, romantic, and empowering. You have to read this book.
4. Black Sun by Rebecca Roanhorse
Epic fantasy inspired by pre-Columbian America. Political intrigue at its finest.
5. The Empire of Gold by S.A. Chakraborty
WOW! What a finale! I wish I always loved the end of a series like this. It was fun, twisty-turny, lovey dovey, and just dark enough to be delicious.
6. You Should See Me in a Crown by Leah Johnson
So fun, and cute, and sweet, and I just loved it SO MUCH!!!
7. The Angel of the Crows by Katherine Addison
Sherlock Holmes + all the supernatural creatures + light steampunk + Jack the Ripper = gold
8. As You Wish by Cary Elwes
The closest thing you’ll ever get to a behind-the-scenes of making-of of The Princess Bride.
9. Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir
Completely unique, and Gideon is my favorite person ever.
10. Prime Deceptions by Valerie Valdes
Fun, smart science fiction that is just as good as the first book (and when does THAT ever happen?).